Saturday, January 14, 2012

My Funny Thailand Experience -The Swinging Pendulum

Days after i arrived in Thailand, my friend took me to one of the many shopping malls in Bangkok. The inside was beautifully decorated with lights hanging from above with big monitors showing hot items on sale. There were also food stalls of exotic delicacies lining both the entrance and the exit of the mall. By the way, when i say exotic, i meant it literally. Where can you find a place where bugs, crickets, scorpions, you name it are the favorites?
When i saw a kid eating a worm - i was like "WOW", I mean "Yuck". I was flabbergasted thinking what i saw in movies and television shows really exist. My friend told me it was just normal in Thailand just like a balut in the Philippines. Foreigners found balut very gross too. A balut is a boiled or fertilized duck embryo, eaten in shell, served with salt, and is a popular aphrodisiac in the Philippines.
Not long after my occasional stares to the boy eating a worm, we head off to feed my own worm inside my stomach. While sitting, I was immediately engrossed in eavesdropping the people talking beside us, helping me forget the boy and the thing he was eating. Their language was surely fun to listen to.
After we savored my very first Thai food in the mall's food court, we hurriedly checked other goodies in their grocery section. My friend by the way arrived in Thailand four months before me but his Thai was still terrible. In fact, he can't still hold a very basic conversation like asking the nearest wash room. And because i needed to use the wash room, i asked him if he happened to know where the nearest john was. We searched for it for like forever, looking at signboards but to no avail. We tried asking people who passed by in English, thinking they would be able to help us. But why oh why! Most of them ignored us or waved us away. Others bowed in shame because of the language we used to communicate.
Just as we thought that even the silver lining in our most darkest hour left us, we found the security standing near the gate of the men's RTW. Since most of the people we asked failed to understand us, we decided to try using their language. Mustering his little known Thai combined with few English words, my friend asked the security, Tee nai wash room? Those were his exact words, not sure what that meant. The security then smiled and my heart leaped in joy because finally, my sacrifice was over. Or so i thought.
Arai na? (which means WHAT in English), said the the security. My friend repeated his words slowly and clearly but the same Arai na? came out of his mouth again. Cutting the story short, he didn't understand my friend. This is going nowhere, we burst out simultaneously.
I was about to explode. I can't hold it anymore. I'm going to die. I decided it was now or never. I eased my way in front of the man and showed him my index finger, put it in front of me, swung it like a pendulum, produced a sound of a splashing water, and said WHERE? The security was taken aback seeing I was sweating profusely. By then, more eyes were on us. My thinking? WHO CARES? I just ignored them. He saw us having difficulty in moving so he waved us to follow him. He was walking fast and showed us where the wash room was, four stalls on the left. He then left us without a word and we both sighed in relief because finally, the sacrifice was indeed over.
I can't believe until now that the swinging pendulum I learned in science when I was in high school was the very thing that helped us in finding john. And oh, my real name is JOHN.

raya
January 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM delete

wahahahahha!! this is sooooo funny! i had so much experiences about this too, like saying, "where is the CR?" lol!!!

January 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM delete

Exactly, Ate Raya. I thought we were doomed. Thanks to the pendulum lol..

kay
January 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM delete

BWahahahahahaha ... its a good thing that the guard did not take you to the police station hahaha ... he might have thought you were a perv haha

chrisair
January 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM delete

haha what an experience you got in Thailand, even foreigners don't want to help,I can imagine how you demo it just for asking where the heck is the CR

Nancy
January 19, 2012 at 9:47 AM delete

Hahahah! you should seek for your science teacher and thank him/her. :))

January 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM delete

Yeah.. I heard jails and the condition of the inmates here are nightmare. Good thing he really didn't.

January 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM delete

That was way too difficult, Chris. Embarrassing pero worth it!

January 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM delete

Problem is..can't remember who was the teacher who taught me this! So many Science Teacher eh..

Marms
January 19, 2012 at 1:27 PM delete

Oh dear, that was hilarious! Hahaha! Good thing that person understood the 'sign language'. :)

Marms

Violy
January 19, 2012 at 4:17 PM delete

Haha so funny... I've been to a lot of places too and one thing I should learn in their language is " comfort room" ... Regarding the crickets and bugs its really a norm in Thailand.. It's so amazing to learn different culture. Every place there's always an interesting revelations.. ;-)

ralph
January 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM delete

at least we know now what to do, experience not wasted (LOL). Yahweh bless.

Albert Israel
January 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM delete

Hahahaha! That's funny indeed yet I know it will be one of your most cherished time in your whole life!

Shirgie Scf
January 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM delete

I was just like....LOLing on this post....literally....I really find it amazing that despite our different culture and languages, we can always understand each other through the use of symbols and gestures...so next time I trap in the same situation as yours, I will try that Swinging Pendulum theory of yours...LOL

Julie. --
January 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM delete

Oh my! Haha! it's hilarious. But I think u should learn the basics next time. Like asking someone what's CR in thai language. Lucky the guard understood the sign. :)

Gil Camporazo
January 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM delete

That's we call communication gap or disparity. A lesson to learn: before everything goes to worse, it is a-must for traveler to at least know the basic language of that place to avoid embarrassment. I was indeed amused of your "funny" and terrible Thai experience. If not for your finger pendulum gesture, I don't know what had happened to you!!!

Juan Pak
January 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM delete

woooaaa.... hahahaha i still did not get it.. why pendulum hahahahahah.. sorry i am very slow.. hahah but thanks for sharing you experience hahaha..

January 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM delete

LOL! You can't find yourself??? :P Next time when you visit a different country, bring a dictionary. :)

Devils Den
May 26, 2012 at 7:52 PM delete

You made me laugh with that hilarious experience you have in Thailand!:) I hope it won't happen to me in the future.;) I want to visit Bangkok later this year and make the most out of my Thai travel!:)