Monday, January 28, 2013

Pattaya: Sin City of Southeast Asia

news.searchcheapflights.co.uk
Pattaya, dubbed as the Sin City of Asia, is indeed living to its alias. With "farangs" (foreigners) outnumbering the locals in some places in the city, perhaps it's safe to say there's a bountiful reserves of honey hiding somewhere that make tourists flock in great numbers every year, while others stay in the city for good.

I've been to Pattaya twice or maybe thrice in my lifetime. But prior to my first visit I've already heard stories I thought only exist in movies. There was nothing worth noting in the morning or even to the city as a whole aside from big numbers of tourists and business establishments here and there, owned and managed by farangs married to, or with Thai partners.

But don't just go yet. Wait for the evening to come and see for yourself as nighttime in Pattaya especially on the city's Walking Street gives you a literal translation of a "wild and rowdy night." When I said wild and rowdy, there's no inch of a joke but reality. You might see half naked ladyboys walking like ramp models, strippers dancing on the ledge of buildings, and people selling tickets for live sex shows and other unusual acts done underground.

And to make things worth noting, police yesterday caught more than 10 couples, mostly foreigners who were trying to flee a swingers' party at Rama Kien Resort. Authorities received an information that a swingers' party was being held every Sunday at the said resort.

Authorities found more than 20 half naked men and women with 25 used condoms and sex toys.

For those who have been to Pattaya I'm pretty sure you got the picture crystal clear. As for those who haven't yet, I'll let you play with your imagination more and certianly won't spoil it.

But then again Pattaya is not all about wild and rowdy things at night where you let the devil on your shoulder indulge. In fact, the city is a great place to relax and unwind especially on the beach. It houses Asia's largest beachfront shopping mall (Central festival), several international art galleries, and an area of extensive property development. So if you plan to visit Pattaya, don't let the title of the article ruin your plan. It's just my two cents that I decided to share. Have fun!

January 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM delete

I have been to Pattaya only once last 2009. Yup, I see it as a sin city for there lies many boys you can mistake as girls. ;) There are a lot of teases and if your radar is not strong in determining who's who, you may fall into sinning for a sweet moment of ecstasy. We have also visited the Pattaya beach. Sure, it's clean and nice with many foreigners hanging around but I still think that nothing beats Philippine beaches. :)

markpogi
January 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM delete

This city is not for me as I have to master the art of distinguishing a woman from a lady-boy. XD

Franc Ramon
January 28, 2013 at 2:16 PM delete

I would like to check their beaches and maybe also their unique night life.

Joshua Berida
January 28, 2013 at 3:30 PM delete

Pattaya seems like a contradiction with its beautiful beaches and crazy night life, but I'd still consider visiting this place despite what you said about it, it seems like an interesting place to visit.

MIMIDEAR
January 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM delete

I want to see it myself, exciting remarks :)

Raine Pal
January 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM delete

Oh! Have an idea now; sin city because of its immorality it offers?Am I right here?

Mai Flores
January 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM delete

I've been Pattaya once for a day trip. But I didn't like the experience. Other than having a rude Indian tour guide, the beach that we went to had no shower or no proper changing rooms.

But on the other hand, I was indeed amused with the lady boys that strutted their stuff. I didn't stay until night time. But I could surely imagine the rowdiness that stirs Pattaya.

January 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM delete

very interesting yung tag na Sin City ha :) And the night life is exceptional yun nga lang wag lang ma pepeke ng ala girls este boys in ladies wear :)

Tripsiders
January 28, 2013 at 9:51 PM delete

I Always like their beaches, but i'll pass on their nightlife thing..:)

Myk Malag
January 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM delete

Basing from your experience, it really is a sin city. I think i cannot handle a place as wild as this... :D

nanardxz
January 28, 2013 at 10:47 PM delete

Really huh? First time I read about Pattaya here on your blog ^^, must-visit this for that night life eh.. :)

papaleng
January 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM delete

Duon na lang ako sa beach, I can swear may mga half-naked na girls doon. True na sin city ang Pattaya at night since ang isang Pastor friend ko, pinag-iingat ang congregation nya na magawi sa lugar kapag gabi na.. LOl

January 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM delete

i've been there once! though i love it! its not the worst and sinly place yo ucan be in thailand! believe me i've been to many places in thailand and there' a lot more! hihi xx

Alwin Aguirre
January 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM delete

Yikes, sounds like a scary place to be. i don't think i'll visit this place in my lifetime

January 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM delete

I can imagine..
Ive been to wild secret parties myself..
This one though will make it public, just dunno if I would have the courage to indulge.
Its great to be young and uninhibited sometimes.

January 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM delete

The Sodom and Gommorra of Thailand, sana ngalang hindi sila napepeke nung mga kina carnal knowledge nila, as Thailand is known also for sex change surgeries

January 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM delete

This place sounds interesting. I just wish you post some photos to highlight its beauty and appeal to travelers out there.

ralph
January 30, 2013 at 9:35 PM delete

if that is the place reputation, then, it's a place not really for me... never heard of it though, so thanks. Yahweh bless.