Monday, November 3, 2014

Pilot Project Of Teaching Kindergarten Students Officially Commences Today

Today is the first day of the pilot project intended to help kindergarten students to speak and use English at Wat Sapansam School. The first two hours this morning was met positively by school administrators, as well as Dr. Warong himself. This afternoon the same group of students will learn English under the tutelage of Aj. Lloyd Canete.

I first taught K2 students followed by K1 into two separate periods. K2 students showed more enthusiasm in answering questions. Thanks to the handful of students who made the discussion lively and fun. As for the latter, they were a year younger and they just came out of nursery so things were quite different. They had problems identifying the ABCs, as well as having difficulty pronouncing each letter correctly.

K1 students were also a fan of standing up; blocking others sitting behind. And the boys? Oh, the boys! What do you expect? They were like frogs that never seemed to get tired of hopping from one place to another. And, of course, there were those who didn't seem to care at all as they looked in the horizon thinking what their moms were cooking. Seriously, the last group made me sweat like crazy. I felt the small liquids behind me crawling out of the surface as they slowly dripped themselves below. I was like, KIDS!!!"

Although the last class was a little far from being fine, to say the least - even perhaps in my own personal perspective, Dr. Warong and the school administrators were impressed (at least that's what they told me). Perhaps there's a truth to what they said because after I left the students a promise of a more enjoyable lesson tomorrow and then later said our goodbyes, I saw the school adviser showing me a thumbs up akin to that of Facebook. LoL.

Lorenzo Caballes
November 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM delete

What a good start, John. Keep up the good job so this project will flourish and then many will benefit in the end, Thai students and Filipino teachers alike. I saw a lot of photos and from the looks of it, the teachers who were there observing you were impressed. They were all in smiles.

John
November 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM delete

Thank you Sir Lorenzo for the nice words you left here. I did enjoy the classes I had today. I can't wait for tomorrow and the days that'll follow. I'm sure a lot of us are going to benefit from this. Wishing for this project's success.

Raymond Vasquez
November 3, 2014 at 11:27 PM delete

I am a teacher myself, so I know how it is for the first time. Added to it is the cultural barrier. So Kudos to your first day kickstart! Ours is also a noble profession. :-) God bless you more on this venture.

Louise ツ
November 3, 2014 at 11:31 PM delete

Hi John! So the English teaching have started. I don't know why but when I look at the pictures, it looks very fun! Maybe because I never grew up with sibling (unica ija here) so seeing kids really excites me!

I bet you had a hard time with the K1. I can imagine how the boys wouldn't stay in one place! Haha!

Good luck in teaching! Have fun... and may you have a lot of patience too! :D

Franc Ramon
November 3, 2014 at 11:58 PM delete

It's really challenging teaching kids since they are still establishing their base and they have short attention span. This is a good project and would give them a great foundation in English.

Tiffany Yong
November 4, 2014 at 12:48 AM delete

The most difficult part about handling so many children is that we have to cater to each and everyone of their needs and some will require more help and attention than the others. It's easy to neglect the quieter ones :(

Beth MusingHousewife
November 4, 2014 at 4:13 AM delete

Teaching Kindergarten? You are brave! On a more serious note, though, they are so rewarding at that age!

November 4, 2014 at 6:22 AM delete

I have such high regard with teachers, specially those who handle kindergartens! I also taught kids of different ages and those toddlers (kinder age) are really challenging. The boys, yes, they're like frogs lol, and some girls too. Kudos to you John:) Keep the passion alive!

phyaboo
November 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM delete

Keep it up! If the progress is already obvious on your first day, i'm sure you'll get great results at the year end.

November 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM delete

Nicely done, man. Teaching is challenging yet at the same time, fun. Especially when you deal with kids like that.

John
November 4, 2014 at 9:32 PM delete

And it can be daunting too. It's both scary and enjoyable having them around. LoL.

John
November 4, 2014 at 9:44 PM delete

Fingers crossed. If we achieve the main goal of this project, I'll treat you all. LoL. But seriously, phyboo, I do hope we get to see the day when all of them can converse in English.

John
November 4, 2014 at 9:46 PM delete

Thanks, Jeni. As I mentioned in my previous articles related to this, it's a tough job to do. There was even a time I thought of not pushing through. But hey, I do enjoy teaching them now.

John
November 4, 2014 at 9:48 PM delete

True, Beth. I hope to make a difference in the lives of these kids. They are a joy to be with.

John
November 4, 2014 at 9:50 PM delete

Exactly. Earlier today in fact, I kind of neglected some who didn't participate. I wanted to continue as I didn't want those who were listening to lose focus. I hope next time I can make them all join the fun.

John
November 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM delete

Shaping their young minds, to make the meaning appear colorful. Kidding aside, Franc, I am happy to be part of this project.

John
November 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM delete

Louise, they are actually testing my patience. I must admit that they sometimes destroy the small amount of patience left. LoL. But anyhow, I am learning to have it extended :)

John
November 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM delete

Thank you, Raymond. God bless you, too.

Latifah Abdur
November 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM delete

Persistence and grabbing their attention is key. I too think this is a great start and a great program. Teaching them at this age is so important because it will get absorbed quicker in time. Keep up the amazing work you are doing and I wish you the best of luck. :)

ElizOF
November 5, 2014 at 6:58 PM delete

You did an awesome job working with two age groups and seeing the day through without any major meltdown. Kudos to you!
Elizabeth

Lakwatserong Unggoy
November 5, 2014 at 7:49 PM delete

Being a teacher has been one of the toughest job on my list but being teacher is definitely rewarding. Keep your patience high. Gratitude will come along your way, sir. :)

misschievous
November 29, 2014 at 5:32 PM delete

Kudos! Teaching kids while they're in the learning stage is a good one. They're like sponges, absorbing most of the things taught to them. Do more things like this!