Thursday, November 6, 2014

Thai Student Lands In Jail After A Comment On Facebook About The King

Bangkok, Thailand - A university student was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in jail on Tuesday for posting a message on Facebook which the Thai court deemed to be an insult to the country's reigning monarch.

Akkaradet Eiamsuwan, 24, was found guilty of violating Thailand's "les majeste law" by a criminal court judge. The court's ruling mentioned that Akkaradet posted the message in March, and used an alias to do so. He was apprehended by the authorities in Bangkok in June and has been jailed since then.

The court added that since the defendant confessed to the offense the original sentence of 5 years in prison was reduced to 2 1/2 years.

What is Les Majestes Law?

According to Wikipedia, the 2007 Constitution of Thailand, and all seventeen versions since 1932, contain the clause, "The King shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated. No person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action." Thai Criminal Code elaborates in section 112: "Whoever defames, insults or threatens the King, Queen, the Heir-apparent or the Regent, shall be punished with imprisonment of three to fifteen years." Missing from the Code, however, is a definition of what actions constitute "defamation" or "insult".

***
If you want to stay longer and continue to enjoy the land of smile's amazing hospitality, may this article serve as a warning. Respect the country's monarch and don't do anything foolish. Oh, I almost forgot. Enjoy the Loy Krathong Festival :)

Lorenzo Caballes
November 6, 2014 at 12:43 PM delete

I guess that's the most basic thing we should learn while we are here. RESPECT. If we do then, we can make our stay here longer and better.

Sef T.
November 6, 2014 at 8:11 PM delete

one thing I hate about Thailand is that they do not have the sense of freedom unlike in our country.

KayeF
November 6, 2014 at 10:04 PM delete

Thailand is so strict regarding this. I understand that respect has to be given to officials but 2 1/2 years of imprisonment is too much for this case.

sarj
November 8, 2014 at 2:38 AM delete

I guess every Country have their law that each people should observe and obey. It may be a tad strict on them, but as they say, rules are rules.

Pal Raine
November 8, 2014 at 1:59 PM delete

Being in the other land we must abide by their custom, tradition and also their LAW. What we must not do is to treat persons equally.

Daphne
November 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM delete

Oh my partner and I are traveling to Thailand soon and can't wait to experience everything the country has to offer! Will definitely keep this mind but I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy my stay there. :)

November 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM delete

Do you have a copy of the post or message of the Thai Student that made him guilty? I didn't realize Thailand had a strict thing about facebook posts.

badudets
January 8, 2015 at 11:38 PM delete

All of us should respect each country's laws so I have nothing to say about the issue.