Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Chinese flyer caught stealing EUR5,000 from bag on Bangkok-bound flight

If you're flying with your favorite airline or even with the ones that don't appeal to you just because they have cheap tickets on sale, you should be aware that there are bad people around. There are those who would take the opportunity of stealing your money or other valuable things even if your precious possessions are already feeling comfy in the overhead bins.

There are these people police named as "mid flight thieves" as they literally steal other passengers' valuable belongings while on board the flight.

Photo: MCOT
A recent case surfaced after Suvarnabhumi Aiport police apprehended a Chinese passenger who raided a carry-on bag of a Danish passenger. The victim filed a complaint with the airline for theft.

Ma Qiquan,45, was photographed by an eye-witness taking the victim's carry-on bag to his seat from the overhead bin and rummaged the bag's inside for cash before putting the bag back as if nothing had happened.

The incident took place on flight TK064 from Istanbul, Turkey. According to a report from Matichon, Ma was busted with EUR5,050 cash (THB197,000) upon landing on Monday, 4th January.

According to his passport records, cops said Ma had traveled to Thailand several times but never went through immigration. Police believe the man would immediately hop on another flight and leave the country after stealing, Coconuts Bangkok reported.

Police said they have been watching the movements of "mid-flight thieves for over six months, but could never catch one because most victims found out they had been robbed only after leaving the airport, the report added.

In some cases, the thief would replace the cash with smaller bills to fool the victims they still had their money, police said.

Elizabeth O.
January 6, 2016 at 4:32 PM delete

Wow! That's a lot of money. I think no matter what the race is there will always be people like this.

Mia Foo
January 6, 2016 at 9:56 PM delete

what a terrible thing to do! thank goodness he got caught! and i wonder how did he manage to not go through immigrations (and check in) and just hop on to the next flight out of thailand?

Bhushavali N
January 7, 2016 at 12:58 AM delete

OMG! I never bothered to worry about my cabin baggage once I stack it into the overhead storage. Never even thought anyone would even steal inside an airplane!!!

January 8, 2016 at 7:36 AM delete

What the! we really need to alert in everywhere we go. you'll never know what could happen. hope everything ends well in the end. :)

Kai Darul
January 8, 2016 at 7:38 AM delete

this is why i put the bag with my belongings on my front. that way it is much safer.

John Benliro
January 11, 2016 at 9:56 AM delete

Indeed. I actually keep my belongings particularly those with important stuff just under the seat of the person in front of me even before this news came out.

John Benliro
January 11, 2016 at 9:58 AM delete

You've been warned. LoL. But on a serious note, things nowadays are different. It seems some crooks aren't afraid to be caught red-handed anymore.

John Benliro
January 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM delete

Yes. I myself is wondering as to how he managed to escaped the eyes of the immigration. How was that possible? But thank goodness he got caught.

Chel
February 2, 2016 at 4:51 PM delete

This is just so sad. I'm an avid traveler and I always choose to put my stuff where I can see them. So glad he got busted!