Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Cancelling a work permit | Documents needed
As the second semester draws to a close, some of us are thinking of leaving our school to look for a much greener grass somewhere. There are also others who may decide to call it quits after losing confidence in their school's ability to get things done correctly or in a timely manner in terms of paperwork and stuff.
So if you are 100% sure that enough is enough, it is imperative for you to go and cancel your work permit to avoid any issues or whatnot in the future.
I've never changed my employer since I arrived in the Kingdom. But even so, I was under the impression that as an employee, if you wish to cancel your work permit, you need to go to the labor department with a letter from the employer stating the last day of the contract with the stamp from the school.
But that's not actually how it works. Although the employer and the employee (work permit holder) can cancel the work permit, they both have a different approach in doing so.
1. In case the EMPLOYER prefer to inform for canceling Work Permit
1.1 Completed Form for Work Permit Cancellation (signed by the employer)plus one copy.
1.2 Work Permit (if any)
1.3. A copy of enterprise registration such as Company Registration certified by the Ministry of Commerce within the last six months, School License, Foundation License, etc.
1.4 A copy of employer’s I.D. card in case of he/she is a Thai or a copy of employer’s work permit in case of he/she is a foreigner 1.5Power of Attorney with affixed 10 Baht duty stamp together with a copy of appointee’s I.D. card (if the employer is unable to apply in person).
2. In case the WORK PERMIT HOLDER prefer to inform for canceling Work Permit
2.1 Completed Form for Work Permit Cancellation (signed by the holder)plus one copy.
2.2 Work Permit (original)
2.3 Power of Attorney with affixed 10 Baht duty stamp together with a copy of appointee’s I.D. card(if the holder is unable to apply in person).
- Work Permit cancellation can be done after a holder resigned from a job or an employer laid off a holder. But there is no limit time for cancellation.
- Every page of the documents belonging to the company need to be certified by the authorized person or the appointee with company seal (if any).
- Every page of the documents belonging to the applicant need to be certified by the applicant himself or the appointee.
You can download the Work Permit Cancellation form, Power of Attorney as well as both Thai and English version of the law by clicking the link.