Thursday, March 10, 2016


Non-Immigrant "O" Visa | What you need to know in scoring it

After posting the meeting we had with Phitsanulok immigration on Saturday 5th March, I received a handful of comments and private messages from our "kababayans" regarding the status of their visas and the immigration's tougher stand on "overstayers" which will take effect on March 20. It was so overwhelming. To those who took time in shooting me a message or two but didn't receive an answer, I apologize. Please understand that I'm not in the position to answer all your questions as I'm not working with the immigration myself.

One of the messages I received was about the requirements and documents needed in getting a "Non Immigrant O Visa."

The last time I processed a Non Immigrant O was when my mother came to visit 3 years ago. I searched online as to what documents are needed and if there are any updates, but comparing the documents my mother brought to Laos in 2012 and the documents immigration or Thai consulate say on their websites, it seems there's not much of a difference.


This type of visa is issued to applicants who wish to accompany spouse or family members working, studying or living in Thailand.


-Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

-Visa application form completely filled out

-Recent (4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

-Original letter from hiring company indicating the employees work, while also mentioning the name of the employee's spouse and that he or she will be of dependent status while the employed spouse is working in Thailand OR a photocopy of employed spouse’s work permit.

-Copy of passport pages of those working or studying in Thailand. The passport pages should include personal data page and Thai visa page.

-Copy of Thai Work Permit or Student I.D.

-Copy of marriage certificate (For spouse)

-Copy of birth certificate (For parents)

Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

2,000 baht

Two working days (apply today and get it the next day)

The validity of a visa is 3 months for Single Entry Visa

Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days.  He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand.

Source: Royal Thai Consulate, Tielandtothailand

Recent Posts

About the Author

Khon Philippine

I'm a full time travel and tourism lecturer at a university in the north. I love to blog during my spare time. I blog about news particularly in Thailand, personal travel stories, and anything under the sun. I also write some stuff at The Pinoy Legacy. When not blogging, I make myself busy preparing for the zombie apocalypse.